11.21.2012

Paige Nicole Pittsenbarger

I couldn't decide if I should post my labor & delivery story on my blog or not, but decided that this is for journaling purposes. If you don't want to read this long post scroll down to see the pictures. I also don't want my labor to sound horrible (nothing is worse than reading a horrible birth story on a blog.) let the rambling begin...

On November 8th I had my 38 1/2 week appointment. I was still only a fingertip dilated and not thinned at all. I had been working my butt off to dilate and still nothing. My doctor has always told me if I got to a 2 he would try and induce me at 39 weeks. Seeing that I was only a fingertip dilated I was waiting for him to tell me that I was going to go past thanksgiving again (and that was NOT a option for me), he could tell I was so annoyed. Dr. Zwisler then told me that he was leaving town for thanksgiving and if I promised him to walk my butt off he would induce me that Monday night. The next 4 days i walked and walked and walked and tried everything in the book (besides Castor oil, that's just gross.)

Monday came and the day seemed to drag on. My mom and sister got in around 5 and we were off to dinner then next stop was the hospital. My check in time was 9pm. Once we got all hooked up they checked to see if i was dilated anymore. Of course I was still a fingertip and about 30% thinned. I wanted to shoot someone. I thought I would for sure be a 1 or 2. They inserted a pill into me every 4 hours throughout the night to start thinning me. Chase and I woke up around 6am and I went to the bathroom and my mucus plug had come out and that's when my contractions started. I remember calling my mom and telling her that it had come out and that these contractions were "no joke..they hurt" at 6:30 the contractions were 2 minutes apart but still bearable. My mom and sister got to the hospital around 8 and the contractions REALLY started to hurt (they were still 2 minutes apart.) A nurse came in and said "Wow lets check you, your contractions are pretty strong. I thought to myself "Ya! tell me about it" She told me I was only 1 cm dilated. This went on over and over again. By the time lunch came around Chase and my sister went to grab lunch. Of course when Chase left the contractions were the worst the had ever been. I'm not going to lie...it hurt like HELL. By the time Chase got back I was asking for my epidural, my nurse kept telling me to wait and not to get it to early. I listened to her but after only a hour I couldn't stand it anymore. I was demanding my epidural. We finally got the Anesthesiologist and he said he had 1 patient ahead of me and to wait 15 minutes...let just say it was the longest 15 minutes of my life. It took the Anesthesiologist 1 hour to get my epidural in. They had to put the needle in twice because they couldn't get past my back ligaments. (they said it was because I was athletic, Chase and I laughed and I just let them believe it.) side note: I don't really understand why people complain about epidurals hurting. The only thing that was irritating (not hurt) was the numbing cream that stung a little bit. After that you don't feel a thing. 

Once the epidural kicked in I was in HEAVEN. (i don't understand why women would want to do a natural birth. It seriously boggles my mind..call me a baby, but I'm taking those drugs every time.) While we were all sitting around talking I felt a little gush of water come out of me. At first I thought I had peed my pants, but it was my water breaking. I remember looking at everyone saying "oh man, i think my water broke. My nurse came in and confirmed it. At that point I was so glad I got my epidural when I did because they started me on pitocin and everything went pretty quick from there. My nurses had me use a peanut ball to position the babys head the right way. At that point I kept telling my nurse that I was feeling a lot of pressure to push. She told me that it was the ball working and that I was only 4 cm dilated and it would still be a while. This happened for about 2 1/2 hours and the pressure only got worse & worse . Thank heavens a change in nurses came when it did. The new nurse started to check me so my mom sister and Paige left the room for a second. The nurse looked at me and said with a weird face "When did they check you last?" I said it was about a hour ago and she said "well your complete, you are a 10." I went from a 4 to a 10 in about a hour. Chase stated jumping up and down. I immediately felt sick, i thought i was going to throw up. I think all the emotions hit me at once. We grabbed my mom, sister & Paige. I gave Paige a hug and she left for the waiting room. My nurse came back in and said we have to wait a hour to push because my doctor got called into an emergency surgery. About 15 minutes later Dr. Zwisler walked into the room and we were ready to push. I pushed for about a hour and after one last huge push I felt the biggest relief that I had ever felt. At 9:21pm Paige Nicole Pittsenbarger entered the world at 7lbs 14oz and 21 inches long. Chase cut the umbilical cord and they took Paige to clean her off. Her first cry is something i will NEVER forget. Sweetest sound ever. I remember looking around and there wasn't a dry eye in the house. Its still hard for me to describe the feeling. 

November 13th will always hold a special place in our hearts (even after a 24 hour labor). We love you more than anything baby girl. You have already changed your dad and I for the best. 


Last picture in our home as a family of 2. 




 Day 2:






This is my favorite picture. I'm trying to work through a contraction and my mom and Chase are watching TV. priceless. 









My sister fanning me after my nurse telling me I'm at a 10. I really thought I was going to throw up. 


Right before I started pushing. love him. ps I'm not posting pushing pictures. Way to graphic & close to my heart for sharing. sorry. 













Chase. Dr. Zwisler & the most awkward resident I have ever met. bless his heart. 



First family photo. Dont worry I know I look like a truck ran over me. But after 24 hours of labor I didnt really care. 





At sacred heart after a baby is born they let the dads ring a bell that is heard all throughout the hospital letting people know a baby is born. 

3 comments:

The Andersons said...

I'm tearing up all over again. I just love this whole story. Baby Paige is so so precious.. the world is a better place with her here. Love you and miss you all already! xoxo!

Mitch and Tayler Myers said...

I love this so much! and who looks that good when in labor? seriously. She is so so beautiful! Congratulations!!!

Kyle ♥ Ashlyn said...

I love this, i am so happy for you, such a darling family! love all of the pictures and I love that you shared your labor :) i love reading them